Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Of Defiance and Tenderness

Sometimes (most of the time actually), it is extremely difficult to put our little one to sleep. She would lie down and pretend to sleep when told but after a few minutes, she will get up again and trick us to allow her to stay up a little longer. She would say she still needs to pee, or request to sleep in between Mommy and Daddy, or ask for peanut butter sandwich, etc. We give in most of the time since most of her "requests" are legitimate and/or good for her. However, she used the "I'm hungry. I want peanut butter." trick 3 nights in a row making it really obvious that she's just making it up to stay up a little longer. After a tiring day, that pissed me off and pretended I was asleep already. She kicked and hit me and  cried trying to wake me up to make her a sandwich. She knew I was angry already and just cried herself to sleep. But I guess she's the type that wouldn't want to go to sleep knowing her parents are angry. She woke up again after a  few minutes and said sorry while trying to wake me up from my pretend sleep. She kept going and going until I finally said, "It's okay. Go to sleep now. I love you."

There was also a time that it was our little one's dad who was angry after putting her to sleep. She was upset and cried herself to sleep after her fight with her dad. In the middle of the night, she hopped over me (we still co sleep our 34 months old daughter) so that she could sleep on her dad's arms. I think it was her way of apologizing to her dad.
It's so cute and sweet that even though our toddler is in the stage where she exerts all her energy to assert her power (that sometimes look very disrespectful), she knows how to humble herself and apologize for her mistakes. She would always, always, make "lambing" and say sorry after her bout of aggression. She would swallow her pride and resolve her conflicts first. She would never go to sleep knowing she is or we are upset. I guess she loves us that much. Awwwww. We are doing great in this parenting job er?!
I hope and pray she remains this strong and smart but with a sweet, tender heart who knows what matters most.

*While writing this, I came across this article. Gameplan for Terrific Twos. This is a good read to ace this parenting thing.

No comments:

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 17 September 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity.
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content will always be identified.