Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Fulla Life

I arrived here in the Kingdom tired and afraid of the new life I’ll be facing. It’s a lot different from where I came from. All men and women wear tubes and abaya that cover their entire bodies. The only difference is women wear black, while men wear white. Women too have extra black cloth covering their heads and faces with what we call shella. Men wear a turban like headgear which I guess tells the status of a person in the society.
I didn’t wear any of those special clothing when I arrived in the airport. I wish I did though coz I wanted to cover myself just to be a little like “one of them”. I figured it will be easier to move with no one staring at you, if only I wore my abaya.
Lucky for me and my four companions, our driver fetched us on time from the airport. Others had to wait longer for their sponsors and/or drivers. One can’t just go out and hail cabs like in other countries, especially if you’re female. Women can’t even drive even if they have cars. Our driver was an English speaking Arab, which made it easier for us to communicate with him. He was very nice just like his other brothers, one of them our boss, the others running the business in one way or the other. He drove us to our apartment which was fully furnished with really nice furnitures and appliances. What I really liked about it was our room. It was filled with purple and pink furnishings from Fulla. Fulla is like the Arab version of Barbie. I never liked purple and pink (or any Barbie related stuff) by the way, but it was still really nice. I was like a kid in my new room.
I felt like the Boss was just like my father. First he gave us our room and the entire apartment. He sent us food and other supplies we will be needing for our stay here. The next day he sent us another driver again and some cash to buy more things we need. Sweet! The next few days were very much like that, the Boss will call and tell us the driver is coming, he’ll give us money to spend and the next thing we know, we are driving around the city, enjoying rides in an amusement park or (window) shopping in the nicest malls at the center of the Kingdom. In just a week, I think I have toured the city which will take other people working here in the Kingdom not as lucky as I am a year or so.
I just hope things will stay this way for the entirety of my stay here in the Kingdom. Life is indeed still sweet.

No comments:

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 17 September 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity.
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content will always be identified.