Friday, September 23, 2011

Single Parent For A Day

I wonder how single parents survive raising their child. I couldn't even do it alone for a day with my newborn.

Our house is being renovated. we weren't able to do it before our baby arrived for my husband was overseas. My baby and I had to stay in my parents' house, where nobody lives there during the day as everyone has to go to work while my husband stays in our house to supervise the renovations in our own nest.

My baby and I starts the day with feeding. She only wakes up for milk and diaper change. I had to make sure she feeds just right coz we are diagnosed with overfeeding the other day during pedia check up. This was difficult for me as my baby cries when I stop giving her milk. Im torn between making her healthy and making her stop crying. which do you choose?

A few minutes later I would prepare her bath while my baby naps. She sleeps soundly when full. I wonder how I can prepare all the bath essentials when shes awake all the time?

With one hand on my baby my other hand is busy opening/ closing head-to-toe baby wash, scrubbing baby's body, rinsing baby's body with water, shampooing head, cleaning umbilical cord, changing nappies, and dressing her up. It is a one really BUSY other hand. Another set of hands would be really nice to have during those times.

Another round of sleep for my baby and chores for the mommy. I would eat, clean up some of baby's bath time mess, hand wash baby's clothes, go for bathroom break and blog if I still have time. If the baby doesn't sleep, I can't do any other work done... not even the bathroom break.

I'm lucky though my mom can baby sit for a few minutes during lunchtime. That's the time I take a bath. If the granny is not around, i'll be stinking with baby milk, weewee, poop and vomit.

Afternoons are busier with playtime with the baby. Playtime meaning guessing what she wants and needs. She's awake and sometimes cries after 12noon. I really can't tell what she wants. Though my first guess is always she wants milk. And she does want milk even when she's not really hungry. It's not good to give her milk all the time. Remember, overfeeding is bad. But nothing soothes a week old baby but milk. Oh what to do?

After 5pm is a little easier since the baby  (and mommy) is all tired from the afternoon session of guessing game. The baby takes her nap again while I pump some milk out of my chest. The pediatrician suggested that I pump out my milk before I breastfeed my baby. In that way, there will be lesser milk for her to suck. Less tendency to overfeed. Imagine if I only have a manual breast pump. It will be another tiresome chore for me.

Then here comes night time. It is another cycle of feeding, burping, rocking baby to sleep and changing diapers. My dinner runs only for 10-15mins and sleep not longer than 2 hours.

Honestly, I'll go crazy if I do this routine for the rest of the week.

God bless all single parents -- juggling professional work and raising a child. May you have the strength to do your job, courage to face challenges, good health to endure sleepless nights and patience to endure it all gracefully.


No comments:

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 17 September 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity.
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content will always be identified.