Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Breastfeeding Journey

I think I have announced the end of our breastfeeding journey prematurely. I just realized that, though my little one seems to be liking the milk not from mommy, she still needs me and my milk... Specially at night. I guess our breastfeeding journey will still go on.

I was underweight before I got pregnant. I (and maybe my OB too) thought that I won't be able to breastfeed even if I wanted to. My body is just too small to hold milk, or anything at all. But I really think breastfeeding is the most normal/natural thing to do. And the benefits of breastfeeding both for the mom and baby are priceless. I also think breastfeeding truly completes my womanhood. I told myself, even for only a short period, I will try to breastfeed.




So before I gave birth, I tried to attend all those free breastfeeding and parenting seminars for pregnant women. I will arm myself with all the theoretical and evidenced based facts of this breastfeeding just in case I am given the opportunity. At least I know what to do.

I had a smooth delivery. I had the chance to have skin to skin time with my newborn. But it is not enough to have a successful latch on. As per the hospital's policy, my baby was brought to the nursery for a night (or at least a few hours to finish some tests and lab works). I can go to her if i wish to breastfeed her. I think my baby only received some glucose. No formula because my OB knows that I will breastfeed. So the very next morning (I gave birth around 9:30 pm), I forced myself to stand and walk so I can go to my little one for breastfeeding. She must be hungry by now, I thought. I went in to the nursery, very confident that I know what I'm doing. But clearly I do not. My baby just wont latch properly and I think nothing is coming out of my boob. I tried to hide the way I hold and bf my baby because I'm too embarrassed to be seen by other nursing moms. I tried peaking on the idiot boards and posters of how to breastfeed. And I just can't seem to do it right. So I just gave my baby back to the nurses and said that she's too sleepy to drink milk... Which is half true. I went for another try after 3 hours. This time I was alone and can focus on doing it right this time. But still no success.

During those times, I wasn't worried that I wont be able to breastfeed. I was just too confident that I'll be able to do this, after all, I attended every seminar offered by Mothercare. I think, believing in yourself that you can do something, actually helps.

I was only able to successfully feed my baby approximately 24hrs after she was born until now that she's almost 2 years old. We had our joys and pains... but really, it's all worth it.

So there's really truth to those things they taught me:
> that it's possible that your milk supply will come out maybe a little later after your baby is born,
> that baby is tired and sleepy and maybe will not latch or feed right away
> that baby will only consume what she needs; no need to strictly follow recommended feeding schedule/amount
> that baby knows when and how to latch... Just hold him properly
>  that your body will produce enough to nourish your baby (no formula supplement needed)
> that your baby will be healthier (in the long run), leaner and less likely to get sick
> and her poop are not as bad smelling as formula fed babies

My breastfeeding journey is successful because:
> I really wanted this to happen
> my husband was supportive in my decision even if he has his own way or opinion in feeding our child
> I have family, mostly in laws, who help me, specially with chores, and sending me treats and snacks, so I can focus on nursing and taking care of my baby
> an OBGyn and midwife who gave me tips in nursing positions and increasing milk supply
> my kinda expensive avent breastpump (but it's worth it)
> moringa supplements, oatmeals, soups and other food that increases milk supply
> nursing wears and accessories
> support groups that share their triumphs and boo-boos in breastfeeding
> free seminars for new mommies
> internet, blogs, Facebook support groups for the breastfeeding
> and a the cutest and most loving baby that needs and wants my milk

Okay, time to breastfeed again.

Happy breastfeeding month!

No comments:

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 17 September 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity.
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content will always be identified.