Sunday, August 11, 2013

Of Pains and Active Toddler

It all started when my little one fell and bumped her knees to the ground. She shoved her dad away when daddy was about to pick her up. She was always like this -- brave, strong and independent. She doesn't want any help from us specially when she hurts herself. Nothing significant after that incident. She went on playing and running again.

The very next day, the little one complained of pain on her right knee. She was also limping while she walks. I was worried. She would opt to walk on her knees as bearing weight on her leg, I assume, was really painful. There were no bruise, swelling or clicking today and the day before. So I wonder what could it be that she is partially (and temporarily) unable to do things the same way as before. A little ointment relieved her of the pain and was able to walk (and run) again that afternoon. Thank God, she is alright.

The following  day (her 23rd month), she was again complaining of pain and limping.  Any parent wouldn't want their child getting hurt. You could only imagine my heartbreaking everytime I hear her say "aaawwweee knee". I wanted to go back in time so that I could prevent her from falling the other day. I wish I had put on ice and did a first aid right away even if she seemed okay. I wanted to bring her to hospital and do MRI just to be 100% sure it was nothing serious. (Then all my former patients and their parents (as pediatric physical therapist) flashed before my eyes. Now I understand how it must hurt, disappoint, feel frustrated, and kill every inch of their bone to see their child in pain and probably be specially abled for life. Yes, I'm overreacting. My child has only sprained her knee incomparable for a lifelong disability of my patients.) It was just a sprain and I was overthinking.

I just feel so bad that I can't do anything RIGHT AWAY to make my little one feel better. I'm disappointed that I am knowledgeable about first aid, sprains, and all sorts of medical stuff but then my little one feels pain.

I guess I expect too much and being hard on myself. Every growing and active child will go through some sort of playing minor accident that parents should not fuss about.

Thank God my child is alright now. Thank God for this realization and wake up call (to be more careful). Thank God for the strength He gives to parents watching their child grow, get hurt and be well again.

No comments:

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 17 September 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity.
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content will always be identified.